Applications Now Open For the 2023-2024 Plantae Fellows Program
Are you a creative and articulate plant scientist looking to connect with other like-minded folks? We need your help to nurture and grow Plantae, the online home for the global plant science community that is powered by ASPB. We are looking for individuals who want to become highly engaged by creating and curating content, facilitating and hosting discussions, and otherwise fostering our growing global community.
The benefits of becoming a Plantae Fellow include increased visibility within the plant science community and the opportunity to develop your skills as a digital content creator and science communicator. These are volunteer positions; however, ASPB pays an honorarium upon the satisfactory completion of the term. The term of commitment is one year, and the specific weekly time commitment is variable.
Plantae Fellows’ tasks may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Contribute summaries to the Plant Science Research Weekly series
- Guest-edit the Plant Science Research Weekly series
- Curate or develop topical resources specific to Plantae networks and collections
- Facilitate content development that aligns with the Plantae editorial calendar
- Participate in amplification strategies for content, such as social media conversation, discussion board interactions, and/or webinars
- Conduct and share interviews with plant scientists or scientists related to this field
- Create and share articles/infographics/blog posts that educate and inform the public about plant science research
- Participate in Plantae’s annual content planning meeting
- Suggest a project or initiative of your own design
- Contribute to the ongoing Changing Climates and Cultures initiative
- Help promote activities and events hosted and convened by ASPB and Plantae
We are Looking for Plant Scientists who…
- are creative and eager to contribute to an evolving environment
- are from various career/experience levels and research topic/interest areas
- are passionate about plant science education
- hope to further develop their writing and plant science communication skills
- want to build their global professional and personal network
What’s in it for You:
- An honorarium
- Free one-year membership in ASPB
- Dedicated event for Plantae Fellows at the Plant Biology meeting
- Lasting connection with Plantae Fellows
Does this look like the perfect opportunity for you? Places are limited, so we want to get a sense of who you are and where your interests lie. Therefore, to apply, please complete all the following steps:
How to Apply:
- Write a brief personal statement addressing the items below (400 – 600 words). Submit as a Microsoft Word file, or PDF in your application form.
- What makes you a good fit for the Plantae Fellow program? Talk about your background and experiences and how you hope to contribute to the Plantae community.
- Why do you want to become a fellow? Talk about what you hope to gain from this experience AND how you foresee this experience helping you achieve your short-term and long-term goals.
- Select a recent plant science paper and write a summary in the style of Plant Science Research Weekly. Submit as a Microsoft Word file, or PDF in your application form.
- Please choose and complete a task from the list below. Submit as a Microsoft Word file, or PDF in your application form
- Write an article about a public or school-based event celebrating plant science, such as a public lecture, tour, demonstration, or exhibition.
- Write an article and/or create an infographic about a science policy issue or about why it’s so important to support plant science research.
- Create a shareable poster, video, or infographic featuring a current plant science research topic.
- Conduct a video interview with plant scientists about their career, challenges, and research focus.
- Write a blog post with your insights and advice for job seekers or grant writers
- Have an idea not listed here? Feel free to create a new blog post of your own!
- Complete the application form. Be sure to include files from the content you created in steps 1-3.
Selection Process and Deadline:
To ensure that a diverse group of individuals is selected to be part of the program, a committee comprising ASPB staff will review and score applications based on different factors including, but not limited to, career/experience level, geographical location, and the quality of application materials submitted.
Applications are due by September 1, 2023. We look forward to your submission! If you know someone who might be interested, please share this information with them. Please contact Jayson Padilla (email@example.com) with any questions or comments.